Monday, April 13, 2009

First...

I decided to do this because I set up a blog today for all my cousins and aunts and uncles and my grandparents to post family news.....but then i read the news and went wow. I need to vent (so maybe I should set up a blog)

Here it goes with my first random thought (or rant if you will): the Duggar Family

I am the first to admit I am fascinated by the Duggars, but what makes having 18 children news???? Seriously. Congrats on your first grandchild, but shouldn't you expose your children to the world to make sure they understand how it works. The Duggar kids seem to have grown up in a loving household, yes. They seem to have had (some) social interaction with others....HOWEVER, it is irresponsible not to talk to your kids about what should happen if your dreams don't pan out. These kids are growing up in a world where mom and dad have no debt. VERY admirable, but not always possible. Hello, mom and dad have a tv show. They are not doing that show for free. Used car dealerships? Yeah, they own one or two. All well and good, but with this economic climate people are going to make do with what they have. I believe the Duggars are real estate agents. While I know several people who have bought houses lately, the market is not exactly booming. Their jobs and businesses are not paying for these kids. Their tv shows and book deals are. What is going to happen to their kids when they start having ridiculously large families? There will not be a TV show for each of their kids. I just hope that if mom and dad are going to preach the "quiverful" movement that they also talk to their kids about responsible family planning. If they don't want to use birth control, they should learn about abstinence. Make sure that the daughters in the family understand that it may not be possible to stay at home full time...not many families can afford that.

Now my rant is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment